Saturday, January 04, 2014

FO: 1950's Summer Tops (Simplicity 2118) and Christmas Tablecloth Skirt.

Well, as promised here is my Christmas outfit, made from a 1940's tablecloth!


































The fabric is from Etsy (of course) and is made by Spring Mill, probably in the late 1940s. It feels a little bit funny to wear a Christmas print with pine and snow designs, what with the heat we get here during December!


I used my all-time favourite skirt pattern, Enid Gilchrist's box pleat skirt, and it literally took me an hour to whip up. I can't stress enough how flattering and easy this skirt pattern is!

1940s novelty christmas skirt miss l fire fiftth avenue shoes review

































The blouse pattern was made from Simplicity 2118 - 1950's bra tops (View 1).


































It was also another easy make, and fills a blouse gap in my wardrobe nicely. You can never have too many comfortable vintage blouses! I used some random 100% cotton poplin from my stash.

Mods:
Removed some of the excess gape at the centre front and back of the neckline by angling the pattern slightly.
Cut the underarm slightly deeper.
Traced off a facing instead of using bias binding.
There's enough ease in this pattern that a 38 inch fits my 39 inch bust perfectly, no FBA required.


































Outfit:
Skirt - 1940's tablecloth, sewn into a skirt
Blouse - Simplicity 2118
Shoes - Miss L Fire Fifth Avenue
Brooch - 1940's Xmas Novelty Brooch, Etsy
Flamingos - Bunnings!

But wait... there's more!

That's right, Simplicity 2118 is just so perfect for 1950's skirts that I had to make another one (this time in goldenrod yellow).


































Yellow is a pretty hard to get right, but Spotlight has just released some new mercerized quilter's cotton in fantastically retro colours. I normally avoid homespun as it's a bit rough, but these ones have a smooth hand, and are a great weight.

1950s lobster brooch novelty plus size skirt nelly de grab red

































Take a look at the close up of the Nelly De Grab skirt I'm wearing - what looks like a folk-style print is actually risque pin up girls flashing their legs!


































I wasn't sure this was really a 1950's broomstick skirt, but Nelly De Grab only designed until the late 1960's so it must be authentic.
The original skirt only had a 28 inch waist band, but there was enough length for me to cut a new waistband out of the hem allowance and let out a pleat for more width.


































Outfit:
Skirt - Nelly De Grab, Etsy
Blouse - Simplicity 2118
Belt - Opshop
Shoes - Miss L Fire Fifth Avenue
Hairflower - me, orchids from IKEA
Lobster Brooch - Brooklyn Flea Markets

Well, that's nearly my outfits for 2013 finished... I have one more, a knitted jumper from A Stitch in Time, but i'll post that one tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure this year was my most productive yet - how did you go?
Did you make everything you wanted?

xxx

4 comments:

Fräulein K. said...

the fabric is awesome

YamYam said...

really really awesome...the colors are great-I like them!

puttingontheritzz said...

That printed skirt is incredible! I love the look of those hand made tops as well. Happy new year!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Love (!) both outfits!!! That Christmas skirt is so festively fabulous. It's the first thing I've seen so far this year that has triggered my (super early) longings for Christmas' return already.

♥ Jessica