Tuesday, October 08, 2013

Finished Outfit: Denim ClamDiggers, c. 1950 (Advance 5508)

Who's ready for a Beach Party?

lesbian femme 1950s vintage clamdiggers capri pants denim miss l fire cane handbag tijuana plus size xl PUG

































With Summer steadily approaching down here in the Southern Hemisphere, I've had one thing on my mind - how to keep cool in the heat without resorting to skirts.
The answer = Clamdiggers and Capris!

Not just any old, daggy, shorts; I wanted something like these smoking clamdiggers from StutterinMama (one of my favourite sellers on Etsy):






















 Or how about these from One Trick Chassis:






















The pattern I settled on was Advance 5508, View 2 (1950) - clamdiggers and shorts (with a naff blouse).


































This pattern was crazy-easy! I made a test version in an hour, and whipped the final pair up in the same afternoon.


































The best thing about these pants - no zip! The closure is the same as sailor pants, simply held at the top with buttons. (I can vouch for them staying up, we went dancing straight after these photos were taken).


Fabric:
Dark denim and cotton gingham (pocket lining), Spotlight.

Mods:
Nothing major! I graded the pattern up slightly to fit my hips but I don't think I should have bothered - there's a lot of ease in this pattern.
I did add an inch to the length as I felt they were a bit short, and think I'd another when I make these again. Stitched the front pleat down for an inch as it's bit more flattering for those without a washboard stomach.

To look a bit more professional, I top-stitched all the seams in ochre coloured thread like store-bought denim. The side seams were placed against the selvedge of the fabric so they'd look fancy if the cuffs are folded up.

miss l fire tijuana pin up shoes

































I wish the photos did these clamdiggers justice - when I wore them dancing, two women came up and asked if they were Freddies, what a compliment!
They also go perfectly with Miss L Fire's Tijuana wedges (Oh, I wish I could have afforded a red pair too).


































Review:
Would I make these again? Most definitely. Black and hunter green sailcloth/cotton duck are needed. I think I'll narrow the legs a little bit in the next pair.

Would I recommend the pattern? Yes! Make a test pair first, but these fit really well straight off the bat.


































Outfit:
1950s Clamdiggers - Advance 5508
Tie-neck Top - Heartbreaker, PUG
Tooled Wedges - Miss L Fire Tijuana
Cane Bag - 1950s Fair Day, 2013
1940's Bone Necklace and Earrings - Etsy
Bamboo and Plastic Bracelets - Etsy
Scarf - Melbourne

On a side, isn't is great when you can date vintage clothing/accessories?
When I bought the cane bag in the above photos, it had an entry ticket inside to Kur-in-Gai Chase (National Park) - for 16 March, 1966.

I love imagining an fabulous 60's housewife with this handbag having a picnic in the National Park!

5 comments:

Mary Danielson said...

Oh, wow! These are amazing! I wish it were approaching summer in the Northern Hemisphere, if only so I could immediately make copycat clamdiggers. You look stunning in these. They're casual, but super sexy, all at the same time. Gorgeous!

Mariela said...

Super cute! I really want to make a few pairs of vintage inspired trousers for the colder months. Just need to mock it up.

Bex said...

Thanks Mary! I'm blushing!

Jessica Cangiano said...

Goodness gracious, do you look magnificent! I truly can't call to mind the last time I saw wide legged pants rock so awesomely on anyone (nor that I suddenly had such a strong yearning for a pair of my own). Awesome job on them, dear Bex - love how you styled their whole outfit, too.

♥ Jessica

wardrobeexperience said...

great pants! i visited simply vintage the real shop from sarah/stuttering mama when i was to portland. she is great and her shop is to die for...