Sunday, July 07, 2013

FO: 1940's Lumber Jacket and Cherry Blouse

Continuing on in my attempt at a 1940's wearable wardrobe - I can finally share my 1940's Lumber Jacket (Simplicity 1535) with you...


































And the original (I made view 1)...


































I can see why this pattern is so popular! Easy to sew, and the full sleeves feel very glamorous.

Fabric : 1.5m of black gaberdine
Mods: None really. There is so much ease in this pattern that I used the 38 inch size (I'm 39.5) and simply enlarged the waist band to fit me.  The only issue I had was setting the sleeve head into the arm - so I just slightly gathered the top of the sleeve for a small puff.
Also - didn't do bound button holes because they are evil. 

I think my favourite details are the pointed cuffs - so cute!


But wait - there's more!
How about Simplicity 1692 ( view A)?


In comparison to the Jacket, this blouse is full of modifications, but I'm still very happy with it.


I didn't realise until I looked at the pattern pieces, but it's meant to just slip over your head which would have made the the shirt very 'blousy' and not at all flattering. The darts also end just before the waist leaving a lot of excess baggy fabric around your middle.

Mods:
1. extended the front and back darts up past the waist line. 
2. cut a size smaller to reduce the ease.
3. changed the back to be a button-up (same as most other 1940's blouses).
4. drop the sleeve height by 1/4 inch to remove shoulder pads.
5. self covered buttons!


Fabric: 100% cotton print from Lincraft (very old stash busting).


I hope the weather has been fine and sunny where you are too!

16 comments:

SwinginCat said...

Aaaw, it looks great!

Kate-Em said...

Fabulous jacket and blouse. Love all the little details.

Emma Powick said...

the jacket and blouse are amazing! Have been looking for a jacket just like this for a while in grey don't know if I have the skill to sew this though! xx

Ginny said...

Lovely! Reminds me I really must get on with my own jacket. I've had Vogue 7146 sitting on the shelf for a few months waiting for me to buy the fabric. I plan on using a red and black check wool, but it's too damn hot to think about wool at the minute! Funny enough, a cherry print blouse is my next project too! Short sleeves though.

Mariela said...

Both of those turned out awesome! I tried making the blouse and just did not like it at all. It made me feel frumpy and blah. I think I need to drop the neckline.

Kimberly said...

The jacket turned out great. It's much fancier than I expected from the pattern envelope. But WOW that blouse! It's just stunning!

wardrobeexperience said...

the cherry blouse looks so beautiful and the jacket turned out perfect.
i almost bought a jacket like this at a tiny vintage store for little money. when i tried it on i found out why it was so cheap: this jacket was covered with moths holes.

Unknown said...

I was trying to decide if I wanted to make that exact blouse pattern and I'm so glad you listed your mods to it. The whole outfit is super cute on you!

Claire Gittins said...

These look fab! I love the jacket sleeves - very glam. And your blouse is so cute but glam too.
Button up backs look lovely but you have to be a gymnast to get yourself in and out of them - or have a a trusty helper :-)

BusyLizzie said...

Both are just gorgeous. The jacket has some great details and I like the mods you have made to the blouse pattern. Do you have to use the buttons to get the top on and off or can it go over your head? I am not sure I am dextrous enough to do the buttons!

Bex said...

Haha it is a bit tricky to do up, just takes a bit of wrangling ;) x

Bex said...

Hey Em - it was surprisingly easy! I'd say this would be a beginner-intermediate on the easy scale ;)

Bex said...

I agree the cut is very blousy and frumpy :(. Once I'd taken it in with the darts and made a smaller size it seemed to work - good luck xx

Cathy said...

Both the jacket & the blouse looks great on you! Thanks for posting the mods on the blouse pattern. I recently bought the pattern,and being new to sewing, I'm not sure I would have even known where to begin.

missfairchildscharmschool said...

This looks just fabulous on you! I dream of being able to sew well enough to make wearable items for myself.

Andi B. Goode said...

Ah, it looks so great! And it really suits you :D
-Andi x