Here is the lovely original Butterick 6815 (I made only the dress, far left).
A fairly fitted dress, with split kimono sleeves, turn back collar and gored skirt with box-pleat at the front.
|From the Vintage Patterns Wiki|
My delay in sewing this pattern up was the issues I might face grading from a 34 inch bust to a 39 - turns out I needn't have worried.
Once I measured out the pattern pieces I could see the finished bust size would sew up to 37 inches (3 inches of ease) so I only added .75 inch to the side of the bust, lowered the arm holes and lowered the bust dart points too.
It fit perfectly on the first toile!
The fabric I used was oxblood-red quilter's homespun (I wanted something I could wear in this 35 degree heat we're having). It has a great body - not too crisp, not too drapey.
I wore it dancing last night and it has a great swing to the skirt!
Only small alterations to get it to fit my larger bust and waist. Pretty much sewn as per instructions.
Overall Happiness Factor:
I will definitely use this pattern again, maybe in a gingham with contrast collar and belt. Or the taffeta like originally planned.
I think I can also use the bodice as a base to upsize other vintage patterns too.
Mental note - Next time interface the sleeve facings and try to add in-seam pockets.